Bag Waste Reduction Law FAQs
Bag Waste Reduction Law: Information for Retailers
Article 27 of the Environmental Conservation Law (ECL) has been amended to create a new Title 28 for the New York State Bag Waste Reduction Act. The law takes effect March 1, 2020 and prohibits the distribution of plastic carryout bags by retailers in New York state.
Starting March 1, 2020, all plastic carryout bags (other than an exempt bag) are banned from distribution by anyone required to collect New York State sales tax. For sales that are tax exempt, plastic carry out bags are still not allowed to be distributed by anyone required to collect New York State sales tax (unless it is an exempt bag). The law will affect anyone required to collect New York State sales tax, bag manufacturers and consumers. Cities and counties will also be involved. Under the law:
- cities and counties are authorized to adopt a five-cent carry-out bag reduction fee. This means that in these areas, a consumer will be charged 5 cents for each paper carryout bag needed at checkout. One way to avoid this fee and help the environment is to for consumers to bring their own bag.
- stores covered under the NYS Plastic Bag Reduction, Reuse and Recycling Act will still be required to collect plastic bags and other film plastics from consumers for recycling. (Film plastics include items such as bread bags and plastic wraps that come over cases of water, paper towels and other similar items).
What is considered a reusable bag? What does the term "durable" mean within the definition of a reusable bag?
What are setup / plate fees? Setup and Plate fees are additional charges that sometimes apply on various products. While most products include these fees, additional plate fees may be incurred for requests that require more than one color or additional imprint areas. Ask us about it!
- What kinds of files do you accept? We accept high-resolution PDFs, Adobe Illustrator (AI), Adobe Photoshop (AI), SVGs. Need artwork? We can help with that too. Depending on the size of your order, artwork may be no additional charge!
- What's the approval process? Before we charge your card, we provide proofs, and on a case-by-case physical samples (sometimes an additional cost), for your approval. We want to be confident that you know exactly what you are getting before we run the machines. These custom branded items are nonreturnable and nonrefundable once you have provided a written approval via email.
- When will I receive my order? We provide production and shipping estimated timelines during the order process. Production times may vary based on the quantity of items that you order. We simply request timely approvals and open communication throughout the process.
- Can I change my order? You can change your order prior to final approval. Note that any changes will affect the cost per item and overall total cost. In addition, changes may incur additional setup fees depending on the item.
- I need it faster. Do you expedite? Expedited production and shipping is available upon request. These requests will incur additional costs.